Sunday, April 10, 2011

The Perfect Ballet Flat

I pride myself on being a "ballet flat" connoisseur, if you will. Contrary to popular belief, they are not all created equal. In fact, there is such a disparaging difference in fit from designer to designer, that some friends and clients who once swore off this classic gem became converts after switching to the right brand.
Now those who personally know me, know that I have a penchant for Lanvin so you can either skip the rest of the post OR glance down lovingly at your happy, Lanvin clad feet and thank me (or curse me) for bringing these jewels into your life. These are, of course, my favorite.
Not only do they come in a variety of colors and skins, they are by far, the most comfortable ballet flat I've ever worn. Those of you with wider feet will especially appreciate the ever so slightly wider footbed and the super soft leather that stretches to mold to your feet in just a couple days.
So, that's the good news...The not so good news is that they're a splurge. But I still maintain that price per wear, they're a bargain. Think of all those sample sale purchases in your closet that you've worn MAYBE twice but couldn't pass up for $75.00 a pop. More is not always more, it just adds up to more money wasted.

Lanvin Ballet Flat  $495.00



 I DO realize that $500 is a lot of money and that it is just not feasible for everybody SO...
Second favorite is Repetto. Again, great for a regular width foot but pretty on a wider foot as well.
These also come in a million variations and colors as displayed on their website:
http://www.repetto.fr/boutique/chaussures/femme/ballerines.html
They run about half the price of Lanvin's flats and wear beautifully!


Repetto Ballet Flat  $260.00 Available @ Saks.



Then there's tried and true, J.Crew. Absolutely nothing wrong with their ballets if you have narrow to normal width feet. Great pricepoint, quality product. However, if you DO have wider feet, they tend to look a bit "squished" and the toe cleavage thing reminds me of boobs in a corset. But again, not everyone has my fat feet and for those of you skinny feet bitches gals out there, they always have them in super fashionable textiles and skins. Plus, they do great novelty ballerinas, like these:



J.Crew Triple Strap Ballerina  $175.00



No comments: