Sunday, April 27, 2014

Vive La Normcore!

Photo: Courtesy of www.levi.com
About a month ago, my super duper hardcore fashionista friend Blake introduced me to the term “normcore.”  I think he used it in the following phrase, “ Whoa Babe, what the hell are you wearing? Is that a Levi’s jacket, for reals? OMG, you’re sooo normcore – I LOVE it!!!” Never one to let a (back-handed) compliment go unrecognized or unappreciated,  I responded with, “Yes, it is and yes, I am! Thank you so very much."
After some extensive journalistic digging  (ok, I googled it and it popped up at the top of the list) I found the following:                                                                                                                                 
The New York Times described the sub-cultural phenomenon known as "normcore" to be:                
  Normcore (noun) 1. A fashion movement, c. 2014, in which scruffy young urbanites swear off the tired street-style clichés of the last decade — skinny jeans, wallet chains, flannel shirts — in favor of a less-ironic (but still pretty ironic) embrace of bland, suburban anti-fashion attire. (See Jeans, mom. Sneakers, white.)                                                                                                                                                                                   2. A sociocultural concept, c. 2013, having nothing to do with fashion, that concerns hipster types learning to get over themselves, sometimes even enough to enjoy maiUnstream pleasures like football along with the rest of the crowd.                                                                                                                                                                                   3. An Internet meme that turned into a massive in-joke that the news media keeps falling for.              
Well, f*** you, Blake (spoken with utmost affection). Vogue tells me that my oversized Levi’s jacket will be the perfect transitional spring piece to throw over my floods and button downs (Please refer to below image to see validation.)                                                                           
The+denim+jacket+is+cut+like+a+men’s+shirt;+the+pants+are+covered+in+tiny+red+stars;+the+gingham+shirt+is+narrow+and+natty.+This+is+a+lesson+in+how+to+dress+adorably+now.Andreea+Diaconu+in+a+Levi’s+jacket,+Thom+Browne+top,+Dries+Van+Noten+pants,+Charvet+scarf,+and+Converse+shoesLevi’s+Vintage+Clothing+1970s+Trucker+jacket+in+Medium,+$288millmercantile.com
http://www.vogue.com/vogue-daily/article/best-jeans-denim-jacket-skirt-shirt-for-spring/?intcid=denim_module#/gallery/denim-guide/7.  
I’ll pair it back to leather leggings and a sweater to wear through the last of April’s chilly days and in June, or I’ll throw it over a not-too-mini skirt with (my new fave) Rag & Bone slip-ons à la Joan Smalls  (Exhibit A

Exhibit A      Courtesy of BFAnyc.com
Photo Courtesy of The Blonde Salad
In fact, I’m pulling that bad boy out of the closet right now and layering it over a hoodie to wear to my son’s soccer game. I may even rent a damn minivan and really go balls out (pun totally intended). Normcore, I think I love you.                                              
But back to the Levi’s jacket…Ladies (and Gents), it’s the Levi’s Trucker Jacket. Gals, I highly recommend buying the men's version for that slightly oversized, '90's, comfy-cash look.     You can find it on the Levi’s website:                                                                                          http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=21933766&view=all&cos=n&&cp=3146842.3146845.3146860.11896263                                                                                                                                                                        
At under $100, you need this in your life.

No comments: