Sunday, January 19, 2014

Hair

Illustration: Courtesy of Angela Keeler

I've never been particularly interested in hair. That is to say, I don't blow-dry (I'm blowdryer impaired), hate the feeling of product in my hair, and more often than not, tie it up in a knot or ponytail. I do, however, splurge on rather extravagant haircuts, so that should the urge to wear my hair down strike, I am ready - without having to blowdry.
Well, those haircuts, which used to happen every couple months, have now been spaced out to every several months (someone please suggest a great hairdresser in NJ), and I now find myself with hair down to my waist - literally.
So here's the question: Am I pushing it? Should ultra-long locks be reserved for sorority girls and reality-show stars? Such an odd dilemma, as I've never really been that attached to my hair. Over the years I've worn it in a myriad of lengths.  The shorter cuts were almost always impulsive decisions that stuck around due to my impatience with "growing it out." Once past a certain length, my laziness would inevitably creep in and voilà -  I'd become slave to the ponytail. A shame, really, because I've been told by many hairdressers that I have great hair (I'm guessing that means thick and healthy due to my inability to blowdry).
But more questions - Is it totally unrefined and way too granola for a gal in her 40's to wear her hair à la Jerry Hall circa 1977? Does it look like I'm grasping onto my fleeting youth for dear life? Does my "hotness" factor correspond to the length of my mane? Surely I am spending way too much time analyzing this situation.
Oh, where is Garren when you need him...

2 comments:

Sara Felice said...

Hello! I came to your post by way of the Garance Dore blog. At 38, I still had very long, thick, shiny light brown hair that was expertly cut in sexy long layers, and I would blow it dry and hot-roll it every time I washed it for maximum glamour. My husband and my friends loved my hair and I suppose the disco/Prell look was a signature of mine. Then I saw the Runaways movie, and immediately decided that before I was 50, I needed to have the short black shag just like Joan Jett/KStew. My hairdresser was shocked, but excited. I'll tell you what: it's 20 times more awesome than the long hair, so quick to style, and people don't mess with me. No more cat calls, because I'm clearly ready to takes names! Start with a medium-length shag perhaps. It's so much more chic and age-appropriate than long hair. Toni & Guy has an online portfolio of really mod and modern shags; check 'em out. Go for the rock!

Anonymous said...

No, having long hair in your 30s is absolutely NOT pushing it, and esp. not if your hair is as thick and healthy as you say!

Much like you, I rarely use product and hardly ever blow-dry, and my hair is waist length. Having ultra-long hair doesn't mean you have to be stuck with boring starlet/hippie hairdos. Just make sure your ends don't get straggly (regular trims do the job), and you should be fine.
If you're getting bored of having long hair, try getting some layers, or a fringe or some cut that creates a little movement. Of course, if it's really intolerable you can just cut it shorter already,