Sunday, February 2, 2014

Red Lipstick


Rita Wilson once revealed to me that Tom Hanks hated her in red lipstick. I found that to be quite surprising at the time because every guy I'd ever dated went NUTS (in a good way) whenever I'd wear it.
So, as I was speed reading through my pile of WWD's one Sunday morning I casually tossed out there that I wanted to stop by the YSL counter for a new red lipstick I'd seen, to which Cooper replied, "Really?"
Now for those who don't know my husband, a typical response would've been, "Let's go - I'll drop the kids off at Mom's house." So, "Really?" kinda made my heart sink a little bit.
Is it possible that I've never noticed his aversion to red lipstick in the 7 years we've been together?
Perhaps I wasn't reading him quite right. That had to be it. So I re-phrased my original request, "I LOVE that red lipstick has made such a huge comeback. Do you think I should go buy one?"
Dead silence.
"Cooper?"
"Hmmm?"
"The lipstick?"
"Oh yes, well, Sweetie, it's just, you know, kinda formal. But I guess it depends on the occasion and outfit."
Once again - not the answer I was looking for. So I gave it one last go, "Do you like red lipstick on ME?"
After careful thought he says, "I suppose I'm just not used to seeing you in red lipstick. But whatever you wear looks beautiful. You would know if it didn't."
Ah, sweet Husband. Translation - "I don't care for it in the slightest. Red lipstick makes you look like you are either employed by Ringling Bros. or the Mustang Ranch, and to top it all off, how am I, or the kids for that matter, supposed to get our daily dose of kisses - unscathed?"
Well, it's safe to say that I won't be wearing red lipstick on the daily, but despite Cooper's objection, I find it to be quite marvelous on many women - what do you think? Red lips yea or nay?











1 comment:

FASHION CHALET said...

It is fascinating isn't it? I love how old Hollywood red lips always look. ;)


x X