Sunday, May 25, 2014

My Summer has Officially Started!

             

Little League season officially ended this morning, and so did my chronic bad mood...

My girlfriend, Alex, recently commented on watching paint dry and I couldn't help but think I'd rather watch paint dry than sit in the hot, humid, scorching bleachers (10 weeks ago when the season started it was freezing cold) watching 2 hours of my son's baseball game. Ok, I know that sounds bad but I DID do it - for the past 10 weeks, 4 games a week (both boys signed up this year). I supported my would-be Derek Jeters and yelled, "Good eye, good eye" from behind the fence every time they didn't strike out.

Ah, the crazy things love makes you do.

In my early 20's I had a boyfriend once mention that he LOVED a specific Alaia sweater on Drew Barrymore, so off to Charles Gallay (yes, I said Charles Gallay - that's how long ago that was) I trot to buy the same exact, dangerously lowcut, nipple grazing, waist cinching Alaia sweater - let's not even talk about spending my entire month's RENT on the damn thing. The sweater snagged on his motorcycle jacket and as I burst into tears, I realized that I loved the sweater more than I loved him.
Five years and 5 boyfriends later, the new "Love of my Life" told me that all he wanted in a partner was someone who could bake like Martha Stewart. I spent the next 3 months at Williams Sonoma buying mixers and tart pans, scouring recipes from Gourmet and Bon Apetit, and learning all the tricks of the trade - perfecting my tarte tatin. Well, turned out what he REALLY wanted in a partner was a blonde 5'9" 20 yr. old version of Martha. To this day I hate tarte tatin.

But back to baseball....

I love my boys and because I love them I sit with the other moms at 9am on Saturday mornings, freezing or near heat-exhaustion, urging them to run, run, run. And when they don't run fast enough, I wipe away tears and runny noses. And when that's still not enough consolation, I offer them the next best thing to a home run...my tarte tatin.

Yes, the crazy things love makes you do...

No comments: