Thursday, March 24, 2011

Hermes Sale


I spent the day in NYC yesterday with my East Coast Bestie, Tammy. We had planned on hitting up the Hermes sale so we geared up in full winter regalia to brave what would surely be at least a 2 hour wait in line. Of course, the day turned out to be one of the ugliest of the year. What started off as a drizzly, overcast morning soon became a downpour with raindrops that morphed into huge chunky flakes of snow. So as we walk out of Penn Station we can spy the line from across the street - or rather, the first portion of the line. By the time we reach the tail end ( up a long block and around the corner ), I was already cold, wet and calculating in my head that it would take appoximately 6 1/2 hours to gain entry.
Perhaps back in the day, when my legs were sturdier, my spirit fiestier and my bladder, well, you know...I may have approached this situation as a challenge fit to be conquered, but on this freezing early spring morning, I had to ask myself - Ok, Mimi, what the hell do you want so badly that you are willing to lose feeling in every appendage so that you can have it for 50% off? Being the sunny California native that I am, the answer was, of course, NOTHING.
BUT, I was not here alone. Tammy IS one of those gals that gets what she wants. In fact, she made it her mission to get my oldest son the "IMPOSSIBLE TO GET" toy one Christmas by braving a monsoon at 5 AM and camping out with a sleep deprived mob of parents at Toys R Us.
So I say to her, "This is insane! How committed are you to this event? Because if you want to wait, I'm in it."
Thank God I only choose rational women to befriend because she looked at me and said, "I don't need anything THAT badly." Hallelujah! FREE! We jump into a cab and hit Lanvin, Barneys, and Tammy's incredible jeweller, Mimi So. We even eat hotdogs off of a cart since neither one of our hubbys will allow it when we are with them. They are adamant that you will DIE if you eat anything from a street vendor.
As we race to Penn Station to catch the train back to NJ, we dream of Lanvin evening gowns, color-blocked shoes, horn cuffs, brown diamonds, and sparkly t-shirts. And vow to buy each other everything off of our wish lists should we win the Mega-Millions (does this fall under philanthropy?).
Oh happy, happy day!
Darn! Why didn't we take pictures?! Ah well, the next Hermes sale is in September... 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mimi I can so relate! Was toying with the idea of going myself and thought....'really!?!?!?' Glad to hear I was in good company! My best, Ali Delaney

CharlieChat said...

Are they having the sale in LA too? Was it just one day.
I love your stories Mimi Dolly - Love you 2.